As cybersecurity threats become increasingly complex, organizations are seeking top talent to develop and execute their security strategies. In a bid to help companies hire or foster the growth of world-class chief information security officers (CISOs), global IT research firm Info-Tech Research Group has released a comprehensive blueprint, Hire or Develop a World-Class CISO. The guide provides step-by-step instructions for identifying and developing security leaders capable of navigating today’s challenging technological landscape.
The Growing Need for Skilled CISOs
With businesses large and small striving to optimize their security plans, the demand for seasoned CISOs has never been higher. However, hiring or cultivating a highly skilled security leader is no easy task. Info-Tech’s research suggests that smaller organizations are less likely to have a dedicated CISO, while larger companies can attract top-tier talent with higher salaries. Consequently, many security positions remain unfilled, prompting businesses to consider grooming internal CISO candidates rather than looking externally.
Key Qualities of a World-Class CISO
Info-Tech’s blueprint identifies three key areas in which a world-class CISO must excel to create a security culture that is both nimble and aligned with business objectives:
- Align: Aligning security enablement with business requirements.
- Enable: Fostering a culture of risk management.
- Manage: Managing talent and change effectively.
A Four-Phase Methodology for Success
The blueprint also presents a four-phase methodology to guide organizations in developing or hiring an exceptional CISO:
- Understand Organizations Needs: Identify core competencies and desired qualities in a security leader.
- Assess Candidates: Evaluate internal or external CISO candidates’ core competencies and necessary stakeholder relationships.
- Plan Improvements: Identify resources to address competency gaps and improve stakeholder relationships.
- Execute Development: Determine next steps, support the CISO’s growth, and regularly reassess their progress.
In conclusion, having a qualified CISO or security leader is vital for seamless synergy between security and business objectives. By implementing Info-Tech’s strategic blueprint, organizations can optimize their cybersecurity efforts and minimize wasted resources, ensuring a secure future in an ever-evolving landscape.