Microsoft announced today that it is leveraging the power of next-generation AI, with its workplace productivity tools, through Microsoft 365 Copilot.
The new tool combines the capability of large language models (LLMs), business data and Microsoft 365 apps to boost creativity, productivity and improve skills.
Working with Microsoft 365 Copilot
Microsoft is embedding Copilot in the apps people usually use in their daily work routine. It will work alongside customers in two ways:
- Embedded in the Microsoft 365 apps people use every day, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, and more.
- Introducing Business Chat, which integrates with the LLM, and calendars, emails, chats, documents, meetings, and contacts, and increases functionality that people weren’t able to obtain previously.
With these new tools, people can be more creative in Word, more analytical in Excel, more expressive in PowerPoint, more productive in Outlook, and more collaborative in Teams.
Seamlessly Integrated Microsoft 365 Copilot
Microsoft has built a tool that helps users stay in the flow of work and focus more on the task at hand, and less on the busy work. Copilot is integrated seamlessly with the following apps:
- Copilot in Word: writes, edits, summarizes, and creates exactly what people are doing.
- Copilot in PowerPoint: turns ideas into a designed presentation via natural language commands.
- Copilot in Excel: helps unlock insights, identify trends or create professional-looking data visualizations in a fraction of the time.
- Copilot in Outlook: synthesizes and manages the inbox, allowing communications to be more streamlined.
- Copilot in Teams: makes meetings more productive with real-time summaries and action items directly in the context of the conversation.
- Copilot in Power Platform: to help developers of all levels accelerate development with low-code tools, Microsoft introduces two new capabilities within Power Apps and Power Virtual Agents.
Microsoft 365 Copilot reinvents the way we work. It is built on Microsoft’s responsibility to secure data and privacy, grounded in AI principles and Responsible AI Standard and decades of research. Cost and licensing details will be shared later on.
The introduction of new AI productivity tools will increase creativity, collaboration and increase efficiency in people’s day-to-day work in a manner not previously possible.
Microsoft 365 Copilot is being tested with a small group of customers to receive critical feedback that is required to improve these models as they scale.